Monday, June 1, 2009

Damn You, Taylor Swift, Damn You.

I am currently planning to murder myself, with any common household weapon.  I'm deciding between falling on a fire poker and knocking myself out with a hammer:

"Love Story" has been stuck in my head for two days.

You know, the one where sweet Taylor Swift sings this modern Romeo and Juliet script.  And it ends with them not dying, but getting married with Dad's consent.

The music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15KwQs4gnUc) starts off with her walking on a college campus, making eyes at Mr. Gorgeous, studiously reading by a tree.  

And in a sudden dissolve, we're looking up at Taylor Swift a la 1800s, with Mr. Gorgeous all in ruffles.  Cue the passionate, personal singing into the soft focus camera.  And the slow ballroom dancing.  And the subtle innuendos with Taylor Swift plucking cherries that aren't quite ripe (uh-huh)...  

And after the two unite in a wheat field, decide to get married, we're back on campus.  And we're still staring at Mr. Gorgeous (who really looks much better in a coat, collar, and tails...).  He stands up, walks over to innocent Taylor, and they all but kiss in the middle of the quad.

I can't say I don't like it.  

Actually, I get a sweeping emotional feeling in my chest when she sings, "He pulled out a ring and said, 'Marry me, Juliet...'" 

There's my anti-feminist, pro-romance, media-saturated girly-ness talking. 

I thought the pop-loving teeny-bopper in me had died with the Spice Girls.

I guess it's a little different because Taylor Swift is pseudo-country.  ...oh God.

Murder me.  Please.

"Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone.  I'll be waiting, all there's left to do is run.  You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess."  <-- Even my inner feminist can't deny, I want this whole thing to happen.  Sigh.

Oh, and I'd like to point out, I def put the "Julie" in "Juliet."  Shazam!